A white powder consisting of modified maize starch and maltodextrin.
- Not for parenteral use.
- Not suitable for patients with a maize (corn) starch intolerance.
- Not suitable for children under three years of age.
- Should only be used under medical supervision.
- Not suitable as a sole source of nutrition.
Indications for use
- Thick & Easy™ is designed to easily thicken foods and fluids for patients who have difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) e.g conditions such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, muscular dystrophy, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, malignancies of the oral cavity and throat, neurological disorders caused by injury or disease.
- Thick and Easy™ is a Food for Special Medical Purposes.
- Thick & Easy™ is prescribable on FP10/GP10 for thickening of food in dysphagia.
- All prescriptions must be endorsed ACBS (Advisory Committee on Borderline Substances).
Directions for use
Thick & Easy™ can be added to all hot and cold liquids, nutritional supplements and all types of hot or cold pureed foods to develop a thicker consistency and prevent aspiration.
- Thickening liquids: Simply sprinkle in the desired amount (see table below) and stir briskly with a whisk or fork until disolved. The liquid will thicken within 1 minute of mixing. If a thicker consistency is required, stir in a further ½ tbsp per 100ml.
- Thickening larger quantities: Thick & Easy™ can be mixed into liquids using a food processor. Keep food/liquid refrigerated until ready to use.
- Thickening pureed food: Add the desired quantity of Thick & Easy™ and blend until a smooth consistency develops. If the texture becomes thicker than required, simply add a small amount of liquid (water, juice, milk) and re-liquidise.