Managing Dysphagia (Swallowing Difficulties)
Swallowing difficulties may occur in people who, have a dementia, stroke, motor neurone disease and other neurological conditions. These swallowing difficulties are known as Dysphagia.
Our top tips to help people with Dysphagia;
- Good oral hygiene is important as any oral pain can make chewing difficult and uncomfortable
- Make sure that dentures are correctly fitted
- Ensure the person is alert and sitting upright before offering food or drink
- Texture preferences may change, try softer, moist foods for easier chewing and swallowing
- Gently rubbing the cheek or neck may help to prompt swallowing