Solutions to Help Overcome Motor Difficulties
Residents with a Dementia can experience difficulty with cutlery, co-ordination to eat independently and remembering to open their mouths.
Our top tips to help with motor difficulties;
- Adaptive cutlery may be needed to help maintain independence when eating
- Add a plate guard and non-slip mat to aid loading the fork or spoon
- Cutting food up into smaller pieces that can be eaten with a spoon
- Prompt to remind a person when to open their mouths
- Finger foods are an option if cutlery is too difficult