Please be Patient Carer’s Cards have been designed to help carers of people living with dementia explain their condition in social situations to reduce any awkwardness, confusion or embarrassment of any misunderstood behaviours in a polite and discrete way.
Although the understanding around dementia is growing, many carers still encounter social situations where people may not understand their loved one’s behaviour.
On the front of the card they provide a polite and dignified way to acknowledge that someone has dementia and explains why they may be hesitant in answering questions, perhaps ask the same question more than once or displaying behaviours which others don’t understand.
What if the recipient of the card doesn’t know what dementia is?
It’s easy to forget that a lot of people simply have no idea what dementia is, so the reverse of the card provides an opportunity to inform the recipient with a simple, succinct definition of dementia.
5 reasons to buy Please be Patient Carer’s Cards:
- Reduce awkwardness and embarrassment in any social situation
- Improve outcomes of social occasions
- Increase dignity for a person living with dementia
- Improve communication on the condition of dementia
- Improve understanding and empathy about dementia
Examples of situations the card may be useful
- If a waiter/waitress isn’t as patient as you would like
- If there’s any confusion or delays when buying products or making payments
- Can also be used to politely and discreetly explain that you are a caregiver
Pack of 10 cards